A keyword is a term by which we refer to the word or set of words that users type when using search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
Thanks to these keywords, the different search engines are able to offer the information that the user needs.
Therefore, the power of keywords is enormous. In fact, the vast majority of web traffic comes from these keyword search systems.
If you want to achieve a high volume of organic traffic on your website, you must choose your keywords correctly.
Types of keywords
There are several classifications of types of keywords. Everything will depend on the type of search that is carried out. However, this classification can be divided into two:
- Head or Short Tail. Those keywords that are more general and are generally short. These are interesting since this keyword will have a high search volume and if you manage to position them you will ensure a good source of organic traffic. Example: Ham.
- Mid or Middle Tail. These keywords are made up of 2 or 3 words and their search volume is lower but still very attractive. Also, these key words are easier to rank for in SERPs since their SEO competition is lower. Example: Buy Iberian ham.
- Long Tail. Long-tail keywords are the most abundant on the internet and have a multitude of variables and lengths (usually ranging from 3 to 15 words together). These keywords tend to have little competition and few searches, so putting together many of them you can get high web traffic. Example: Buy the best Iberian ham in Spain.
- Informational keywords. These keywords will be those in which the user only searches for information. Example: What is SEO.
- Navigational keywords. Those in which the user seeks to access a portal to interact with it. Example: Adidas website.
- Commercial research keywords. Those keywords that are based on the fact that the user needs information about something before buying a product. Example: Best watches of 2019.
- Transactional keywords. Those keywords in which the user intends to buy on the internet. Example: Buy cheap television.
How to choose the right keywords
When choosing the correct keywords, it is important to select the ones with the best search volume / competition ratio.
Keep in mind that the SEO process begins with our keywords. Therefore, choosing them well will be essential to correctly align your SEO strategy. In fact, in many cases, the choice of these keywords will be determined by the buyer persona and by the competition.
In any case, if you want to choose the best keywords for your website, the best thing to do is carry out a good keyword research or study of keywords, and for this you should take into account the following aspects:
- Analyze your website, its authority and which will be your main competitors.
- Know how to measure yourself. Do not try to compete at first with the big portals in your sector, start with the short tail keywords and gradually evolve within your sector.
- Define your buyer person to see what he wants and how you can help him. This study will give you a broader view of the need that will need to be covered to later sell your product or service.
- Use Keyword Research SEO tools like Google Keyword Planner, Google Trends, KeywordTool.io.
- If you are a local business, attack geolocated keywords such as “dentists Montreal” or “plumbers Toronto”.