A schema markup is a structured data or code developed by Shema.org as a collaboration between Bing, Google, Yahoo! and Yandex. Schema markups are used to share with search engines detailed information about your business or about a specific page content of your site.
Schema.org is basically a joint effort by all major search engines that guidelines the markup that we should add in our website. This markup allows search engines to better understand our website and display better search results.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Schema Markup for SEO
Google considers makrups as a potential key factor for your website’s visibility. Here’s how tt can be beneficial for your SEO:
- Schema markups make your page looks more attractive, informative and engaging in SERPS with snippets and images. A user is more likely to click such results. This is why websites having schema markup have a possibility to rank better than those without mark up.
- Local businesses can clarify to search engines what their business is all about, what they sell and how to contact them.
- With a markup, search engines understand your business type and offerings. For example, you markup explain that you are a dentist and not an orthodontist; and you are available in different languages. Or that you deal in Apple PCs and not the apple fruit.
- Schema markups are useful to promote events directly in search results for local queries like “events near me”. Your business pops up in the search results with information about the venue, performers and ticket sellers.
- With the help of schema markup, you can display business details in SERPs, like logos, contact numbers, customer care, social media accounts, blogs, and founders. If your business has various names or you have changed a name, your Schema will let the search engine know about that.
Do you need to add schema markups to your site?
Get in touch with us and we will give you a customized solution
Main Types of Schema Markups
Below is a list of the most important Schemas Markups to add on your website:
- Article: If you have a news website you should know about the importance of showing them correctly. It is proven that news captures many clicks, but if it is also includes rich snippets the results will be even better. Structured markups for a news, blog or an article page can enhance the appearance in search results. If you are a blogger, or an author who contributes news and articles, you can use the article schema markup to add additional information and create a better snippet that gives a clear picture of what your article is all about.
- Events: If you have a business that is dedicated to the organization of events, we recommended you to use it in order to offer a quick and easy search to users. You will make your event stand out in search results and attract new users so that they can find the event and attend it too.
- Local Business: A Schema Markup for a Local Business will help you create an attractive markup that will display additional information in search results. Do you own an eatery, a dental or health clinic, a pharmacy, a school, grocery store, salon, etc. etc. This one is for you! With Schema Pro you can set a local business markup within minutes.
- Services: If you provide services such as home improvement, car care, digital marketing, travel, etc, you can use the services schema markup to show additional information that gives people a clear idea about all you do and encourage them to hire you right away.
- Products / Reviews: It is one of the most used markups by companies. Customers are increasingly governed by the opinions and assessments made by other users. Hence, it encourages more to click. You can use the review schema markup to attract users and show them your positive side. If you own an eCommerce website or if you are a product company, you can create product schema markups to show off products, their reviews, price and availability to bring in the right audience on the page.
- Video Objects: Videos are the contents that best attract the attention of Internet users. The reasons are logical, they provide easy access and you need to invest very little time to obtain the information you are seeking. You can use the video object schema markup to attract users with quick information about your videos.
- Person: The schema markup can help you add additional information about yourself and structure it well so that it looks good and speaks good about you. Professionals and freelancers can benefit tremendously with this markup.
How to Create and Add Schema Markups With JSON-LD on Wordpress Sites:
Using JSON-LD is my preferred method for implementing schema, as well as being Google’s recommended method. Below is a step by step guide on how to generate, validate and include your markup to your Wordpress website using JSON-LD:
- Step 1: Create your markup code.
If you have no knowledge of JSON-LD programming, go to TechnicalSEO.com to use your JSON-LD schema generation tool. All you have to do is selecting the type of schema you want to create and enter the properties you want to include in your Schema markup (some are mandatory) and then copy the JSON-LD code to your clipboard.
- Step 2: Validate your markup code.
Paste your JSON-LD code into Google’s Structured Data Testing Tool. Fix possible errors and warning and proceed to next step.
- Step 3: Add your markup to your Wordpress site.
To get started, in your WordPress admin, go to any post or page you want to add schema to. Make sure that custom fields are checked in the ‘Screen Options’ at the top. Scroll down to where you can see the custom field boxes, add a new custom field with a name value of ‘schema’ and the previous generated code. Click ‘Add Custom Field’ and scroll up to the top of the page and then click ‘Update’.
- Setp 4: Connect your markup to your header.php.
Open up your header.php file and paste the following code snippet just before the closing </head> tag:
- Step 5: Confirm that your schema markup is working.
If we now check the page/post where we included the code using Google’s Structured Data Testing Tool we will be able to see that there is a new schema entity that contains the properties in JSON-LD.